THE HOLY MONASTERY OF
On the top of a very high rock, northwest of the monastery of St Steven, it is the Holy Trinity monastery.
It is probably the most inaccessible of all the monasteries, but very impressive like all of them. It is an active monastery till today , one of the 4 for the monks and open for the visitors.
To walk till the entrance will take time and effort, because of the distance between the main road and the entrance but the view from the top will make happy whoever will choose this monastery for a visit/tour.
According to the tradition, the monastery was built originally in 1438 by a monk , called Dometio. There is no more information about that person.
But it is very possible, even before this date, even from the beginning of the 14th century, hermits to come and stay in some caves of the rock, as in many more different rocks.
THE KATHOLIKON OF THE MONASTERY
On the north-western side of the rock the central church is situated and it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It belongs to the oldest building phase of the monastery and it is the most interesting building. It must have been constructed in 1475/76.
It is a small church in Byzantine type, cruciform with a low dome. In the nave, there was a gilded iconostasis, which was stolen in 1979 and replaced later with the new one. The narthex was built, probably in 1689.
The first time that the church was decorated was after it was built, in 1475/76. According to an inscription the present decoration with frescoes was made by priest Antony and his brother Nicholas, in 1741, when Parthenius was the monastery abbot.
The spacious narthex was painted in 1692 when Ionas was the abbot of the monastery.
IF YOU LIKE HIKING AND YOU WANT TO SEE A VERY SPECIAL AND NOT SO BUSY WITH GROUPS, MONASTERY…….
FOLLOW US ON A GUIDED TOUR WITH A LICENCED TOURIST GUIDE !!!!!
In the monastery of Holy Trinity there are more buildings, such as the Refectory, cells, reception hall and water tanks , that all of them are not open for a visit.
All the interior is fully renovated and in very good condition. At the entrance , there is a small chapel of St John the Baptist of 1682.
The monastery was having many manuscripts and treasuries but a lot of them lost or stolen during the Second World War, and later..
Some of the manuscripts are kept in the monastery of St Steven, since the Holy Trinity was abandoned and close for several years.